EDGS School Photos

'Panoramic' photos:

1925 -1- -2- -3- -4-
1929 -1- -2- -3- -4-
1931 -1- -2- -3- -4-
1933 -1- -2- -3- -4-
1937 -1- -2- -3- -4-
1946 -1- -2- -3- -4-
1948 -1- -2- -3- -4-
1950 -1- -2- -3- -4-
1952 -1- -2- -3- -4-
1954 Boys Girls
1956 Boys Girls
1958 Boys Girls
1962 -1- -2- -3- -4-
1965 -1- -2- -3- -4-
1968 -1- -2- -3- -4-

Form/ Group photos

1965 3T?
1955 Some Pupils
1956 Upper 5th Form

Speech Day

1957

Sport

EDGS Football team 1935
EDGS Football 1st XI 1947/48
Sports Day 1958
Rugby 1958
Hockey 1958
Under 14 hockey team 1962-1963
Under 15 hockey team 1962-1963
1st XI hockey team 1964-1965

Cricket

1st XI 1951

Track to the Sports Fields

Oak Leaves

1957
1960

Miscellaneous

EDGS Buildings c1980
Bed race vs Bells GS
Chepstow Castle visit

School Song

Words and MP3 Download

East Dean Grammar School

In the early 1900's there was strong feeling in favour of a secondary school for East Dean. Despite resistance from the authorities, who felt that "boys were only going to work in the pits, and girls in service", some councillors sympathetic to the cause, persevered and in 1910 the "Cinderford Higher Elementary School" was opened.
The fee for admission was £1.00 and a limited number of free places were available to qualifying children whose parents could not afford the fee. At the opening the number of pupils was only about 37, but numbers soon increased and after 10 years had risen to 290.
By 1927 the school had become the "Secondary School" and in 1929 was renamed "East Dean Grammar School". Mr C.L Saunders, who joined as Geography Master in 1927, became Headmaster at this point and held the position until his retirement in December 1957.

The school continued to expand, eventually numbering around 450 pupils, offering a full range of academic subjects, and included a technical stream and sixth form. Many clubs and societies evolved over the years, with enthusiastic involvement in music in its many forms.

In 1968 it finally closed its doors. The EDGS pupils went to the Royal Forest of Dean Grammar School on its amalgamation with Bells Grammar School in 1968. Later in 19?? the Royal Forest of Dean Grammar School site became Lakers Comprehensive School and Forest of Dean College.

Former pupils have not forgotten their days at East Dean and a vibrant old scholars society, "Oak Leaves Association" meets regularly, renewing old friendships.