F. A. Q.
- Please scan at 300 DPI. This will give a good quality scan.
(DPI = Dots per inch. Just look in your scanner settings, it may be under 'resolution' or similar).
- If sending by email, if it is available, be sure to check or select 'Keep to the original size'. Otherwise the quality of the pic will be degraded by the software when the email is sent
- If sending as an email attachment and you have a choice of how to attach the file, please choose attach the image as a 'file' (i.e. NOT 'attach the image as a photo').
- Please scan in colour (i.e NOT "grayscale"). Many old 'Black and White' or 'Monochrome' pics develop colour tints as they age - so much better results can be obtained by scanning in colour
- (Very large photos) - overlap the scans, so people are not missed!. If the whole of the photo will not fit on the scanner bed, scan the photo in sections, with at least an inch (2 cm) of overlap on each section.
Having said all that - any scan is better than no scan at all.
How do I send in more names for one of those large school photos?
- On the web page, highlight the names in a row and copy them using Ctrl-C or Edit - Copy
- Paste the names into Notepad, a new email or Word etc.
e.g.Row 6: 2 Carol Westacott 5 Leeyson James, 6 Greta Davis , 7 Alan Bradshaw. 11 Royston Turley.13 Bill Stait. ? 17 Iris Mansell
- Type the new names in as appropriate
e.g. Row 6: 1 NEW NAME 1, 2 Carol Westacott 5 Leeyson James, 6 Greta Davis , 7 Alan Bradshaw, 8 NEW NAME 2, 9 NEW NAME 3, 11 Royston Turley.13 Bill Stait. ? 14 NEW NAME 4, 17 Iris Mansell,
- Repeat for remaining rows.
- Finally email in whatever you have done.
Separate the names with a comma, not a full stop.
If using Word - please do NOT add any text formatting e.g. bold, italic, colours etc. (it adds a lot of 'bloat' to the page)
How long has this site been up ?
The site was started in the 1990s. Like many other sites, since then it has expanded and been re-designed several times
I just looked at a photo and the one of the names below the photo is incorrect. Why is that?.
Most of these photos are very old, therefore we occasionally make a mistake with the names. However, if you see mistake you can email us and the mistake will be corrected
Where do these photos come from ?
Some are loaned to us by both local people and "vurriners", others are sent in by email or on a CD
Do you accept advertising ?
Yes, to help cover the running costs
Is there copyright on any of these photos ?.
All content is published with the permission of the owners of the original material. However, if anyone thinks that a copyright is being infringed, please contact us and we will investigate.
How do you get the names of the people?.
People send in names by clicking the link at the bottom of each page. People are only too pleased to be able to help.
Who else helps ?
Malcolm Norris carries out research and has also transcribed many of the St James Parish Magazines. David Powell has sought out many of the photos for the site.
How do you scan the photos ?.
They are scanned at 300dpi as '.tif' files - or '.jpg' files.
Can I send you a scan myself?
A. Yes you can email them as attachments or send them on a CD
Scan if possible at 300 DPI, - jpg (jpeg) format is fine.
See contact details.
Is there any material you have which is not yet published?
Yes there are photos and other material which we have not yet posted.
Finally if you have old family photos a few words of advice:
Ensure that you write the names of people and/or the locations on the back of the photo (Pencil is best). I see so many beautiful old photographs of people from years gone by which are now of little historical value because the names of the people in the photo have been forgotten over the generations. So go see granny, she will be only too pleased to help