Men of the Princess Royal Brickworks, Bream on a staff outing.
2 : All standing - left to right - 1 Ken Kear , 2 Reg Balllard , 3 Les
Wintle, 4 Percy Havers , 5 Derek Treherne, 6 Tom Cox , 7 Sid Morgan
(foreman), 8 Jim Edwards , 9 Harry Morgan.
Row 1: All kneeling - left to right - 1 Richie Cecil , 2 Trevor Roberts, 3 Wilf Ballard, 4 Elvet Rosser , 5 Jacky Morgan (manager) , 6 Bill "But" Treherne , 7 Cliff Moore, 8 Ted Morgan, 9 ? , 10 ?. ( 9 and 10 from Viney Hill?)
Trevor Roberts played the banjo, he was the 'entertainer' on the outings.
This occasion was an "outing" of staff from the works. A guess
at the date is 1950. The Brickworks closed not long after 1951.
The efficiency of the brickmaking depended a lot on the weather. Rain would slow down the process. The 'perfect' bricks from this works were made from 1 skip of 'Bailey' clay and 2 skips of 'High Delf' clay, but no 'Bailey' and 3 of 'High Delf' had too much combustable material and the bricks would burn. Bailey clay came from the tip along "The Bowsan" (road) and 'Fancy' clay was also brought in . The clay grinding Mill was powered by electricity. The clay was ground, riddled, mixed, pressed and fired, - 2 fires going at any one time. It took 2 days for the hot bricks to cool down. If there was too much combustible material in the clay,the stack of bricks would melt and slip.
The nearby Charcoal works was visited by a man named Falkes (possibly from Hereford) who used the traditional charcoal making method of cords of wood covered in turf. He had a bivouac 'teepee-like' cabin complete with a hole in the top to let out smoke. It was constructed of sticks, covered with sacks of a very thick material covered with tar. Ken recalls Falkes was still producing charcoal in this way at Whitecroft in the 1930s.
Thanks to Ken Kear for many of the names and for details of the brick
and charcoal making and to John Cecil who's brother Richard worked out
of Princess Royal
The brickworks was at Saunders Green. The bricks were marked "PRC" (Princess Royal Colliery). We think it closed in the 1950s. It was later replaced by a sawmill. Brickworks are often associated with coal deposits as clay is usually found with the coal. The quality of the PRC bricks was variable and workers would often inform their friends when it was "a good week for bricks"
(photo by Kelly Imm)
If you wish to comment on this photo or can supply names of people please click here
WANTED: Old photos, old postcards, ephemera and memories of the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire. U.K.- please click here to make contact.