Primrose Hill Mission Church, Lydney.
Two photos of Primrose Hill Mission Church, Lydney.
Primrose Hill Mission Church ( now Holy Trinity Primrose Hill ) some
time after it was dedicated on 6th June 1903**. A short account written
by the Lydney vicar J C E Bessant is taken from the Lydney Parish Magazine
January 1897 :
"It was in June 1893 that Mr Lumbert first began his work. Since then he has transformed the Schoolroom into a typical Mission Room, and built up a congregation. The Mission Room with its screen, pulpit and painted windows, is an illustration of his ingenuity, and witnesses to his zeal and love for Christ and His Church.
A handsome Frontal for the Altar has been worked for the Mission by Miss Foxall, of Cinderford, and we wish to thank those who gave their time and labour for the making and fixing of the screen, etc...........Mr Hockaday* has kindly given the Missioner his dinner on Sundays up till recently, when Mr J Davies has done so as the state of the path to Highbury was impassible"
The "Tin" building was replaced by the present brick-built structure - Holy Trinity Primrose Hill - around 1933.
*Thanks to Colin Wilton-Davies for adding that : Mr
Frank Step Hockaday lived at Highbury, Bream Rd., Lydney until 1924.
**Thanks to Aileen Powell for providing this date.
Rev.Arthur J. Lumbert, 1869 - 1945, who served this parish faithfully for
53 years Lay Reader for 38 years Deacon & Priest 15 years (1)
(1) Memorial Inscription in St Mary's Churchyard, Lydney
Memorials inside the present building
(in May 2004) include
Wooden Plaque - In memory of Alfred Joseph Lumbert, Priest who died 19 November 1945 aged 77 years. His faithful ministrations at Primrose Hill for 52 years endeared him to his people and to him the building of this church was largely due.
The Organ - in memory of Alice Liddington, presented by members of her family. Built by Liddiatt & Sons, Leonard Stanley, Stonehouse, Glos. and restored by Geo Osmund & Co, Taunton.
Painted Window ( of 3 equal sized panes) - in memory of Clara and James Imm, 1878-1921 and 1871-1964. This window was given by their children.
Brass Altar Cross - in memory of Joseph Liddington
A pair of Brass Candlesticks - given by J.L.S.
Wooden Seat (1) - In memory of Edwin & Sarah Pritchard, gift of their children 1937.
Wooden Seat (2) - The gift of George and Alice Davies
Small Table - In loving memory of William Benjamin Arnold who died March 12 1905 Albert Charles Arnold who died March 23 1905.
Plaque - Lionel Seaborne, Reader and Organist 1914-1967
Brass Font Jug - Given to Holy trinity Church christmas 1964 by the 1933-38 Primrose Hill Fete Committee.
Plaque Rev A W Barlow 1910-1977
Prayer Desk - in memory of Percy W Jeffs 1903-1977
Pulpit - gift of Charles Viscount Bledisloe and Elaine his wife Christmas 1935
Glass-top Table - Wallace Edwin Hawkins 1903-1978 Henry William Imm 1903-1980
Wooden Cupboard - gift of Eileen Ann Birt 1965
The stone Font appears to be the same one which is visible in the picture above on the right hand side at the bottom of the Chancel Arch.
If you wish to comment on this photo or can supply names of people please click here
WANTED: Old photos, old postcards, ephemera and memories of the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire. U.K.- please click here to make contact.