St Mary's church Lydney around 1897.
This old photo shows St Mary's Lydney minus the top of the spire. R. A. J. Bell described the loss of the spire in his publication "The Parish Church of St. Mary Lydney" published in 1983. "On Sunday afternoon, April 12th, 1896, in consequence of an accident of an alarming nature, due to a terrific thunderstorm which passed over the church, part of the steeple fell through the West end of the South Aisle doing considerable damage. After examination, three roofs had been entirely destroyed. The main body of the church suffered. Oak seats were smashed. The Font luckily escaped. A quantity of stone fell inside the the Steeple and making its way into the Belfry did some damage to the six bells and entirely destroyed the Pulley Wheel and floors. In the churchyard several Headstones were crumbled. The clock stopped at 2:30 p.m.. One painted memorial window was destroyed. The spire was rebuilt in 1897.."
If you wish to comment on this photo or can supply names of people please click here
WANTED: Old photos, old postcards, ephemera and memories of the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire. U.K.- please click here to make contact.