Lydbrook, Church Hill from Bell Hill Late 1930's to early 1940's - Looking East.
The road twists past the church, over the railway lines and then a sharp left hand bend (Dances Corner) leads to Joys Green and Raurdean. In the foreground is Lydbrook Memorial Hall built in 1926 then the Methodist Church built in 1912. The three cottages are looking on to what is now the water authority's extraction plant. This spring water was used in earlier times in the local "pop", a carbonated drink named "Above All" after the famous local viaduct. The recreation and football ground are clearly seen. To the left of the church is Lydbrook Station, the goods shed and on the opposite side the waiting room. After closure to passengers the waiting rooms became residential properties
- Ken W Sollars
If you wish to comment on this photo or can supply names of people please click here
WANTED: Old photos, old postcards, ephemera and memories of the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire. U.K.- please click here to make contact.