St Lukes church Milkwall, Sunday School Room.
Ladies at back, left to right: Nita Hoare,
Children, left to right: Susan Calloway, Elaine Ruck, Billy Hoare, Karly Schussler, Dianne Baldwin, Joanne Mitchel, Louise Schussler, Martin Sleeman, Kenny James, Joan Hoare, Gill Hoare, Anne Sleeman, Anne Nash, Rev. Eric W. Brewin, Jill Johnson, Gary Hoare, Mike Nash, Margaret Calloway, David Dowler, Adrian Margerison,
The photo was taken around 1951 in the schoolroom of St Lukes church at Milkwall. The schoolroom was detached from the church and has since been demolished. The church building is now a private residence.
In 1956, St Lukes officials were:
Vicar: The Revd. Eric W. Brewin, M.A.
Wardens: Mr Fennell, Mr Elsmore, Mr H Smith
Organist: John Nash
Sunday School Superintendents: Miss Hilary Hoare, Miss Nita Hoare.
Services were held on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of each month.
(Source: The Parish Church of Coleford with Staunton Gloucester. 1955-1956. Year Book and Blotter)
The following is taken from: 'Forest of Dean: Churches', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 5: Bledisloe Hundred, St. Briavels Hundred, The Forest of Dean (1996), pp. 389-396. Date accessed: 20 February 2008.
"Coleford church also organized a mission to Milkwall from 1895. A wooden hall erected for it in 1909 was brought from Moseley Green by Thomas Morgan and was replaced in 1935 by a small brick church designed by William Leah and dedicated to St. Luke. The new church, much of the cost of which was met by a gift of £500, had fittings taken from St. Luke's church in Gloucester. The single bell was cast in 1840 by Thomas Mears".
If you wish to comment on this photo or can supply names of people please click here
WANTED: Old photos, old postcards, ephemera and memories of the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire. U.K.- please click here to make contact.