Harris Directory 1897
Broadwell Lane End in 1897 (from G.J Harris's Directory of the Forest of Dean for 1897)
Lane End, under this name is comprised a straggling district
extending along the edge of the Forest from Palmer's Flat to Five
Acres. and embracing Coalway Lane End, Broadwell Lane End, and Mitcheldean
Lane End. Distance from Coleford 1 mile. Except the "Land Society" in
Broadwell Lane End, the whole lies in the township of West Dean.
Parish Councilliors.- Messrs. Richard Bradley, Sydney Dowler and Alfred Gwilliam.
The district is in the ecclesiastical parish of Coleford, and the area embraced in this parish contains a population of about 2,500. The Church of the Good Shepherd was erected in Broadwell Lane End in 1891; curate in charge, Rev. James Lawton.
Wardens - Messrs. Thomas Lucy and James Powell.
Services.- Sundays, Matins, Choral with Sermon at 11 a.m.; Evensong 6.30 p.m.; Thursdays 7 p.m.. Holy Communion 1st and 3rd Sunday at 8 a.m.. Hymns - Ancient and Modern.
The Lane End National Schools adjoin the church and include mixed departments
and an Infants School; average number of scholars, about 400; Mr. W.H.
Hoad, master; Mrs Hoad, sewing mistress. Assistants, Misses Winifred
Oldland, E. A. Porter, Isabel Porter, B. Rosser and A.C. Tomlins.
Infant School - Miss O. Cull, mistress; assistants, Misses Emily Porter and G. Salmon
One of the large rooms of the School is used each evening as a reading and recreation room during the winter months. Books, periodicals etc.supplied, also a variety of games. President Rev. J. Lawton. Subscription 3d per week. There is a Male Voice Choir under the conductorship of the Rev. J. Lawton; pianist Mr. Howard Smith. Practice Monday evenings 7.30 p.m.
Post Office, situated at Broadwell Lane
End. Sub-Postmistress, Miss J. Herbert. Letters arrive 6 a.m., despatched
7 p.m. Nearest money order and telegraph office Coleford, but postal
orders may be obtained.
|Harris Forest of Dean Almanac and Directory||Lane End 1897|
|Sant, John Esq.||Barn Hill Lodge|
|Thomas, John Sydney, Esq.||Wynots Hill House|
|Broadwell Lane End|
|Aston, James||grocer and bootmaker|
|Fox, Amos||grocer etc.|
|Herbert, Jane||grocer etc.|
|Kear, Moses||builder and timber merchant|
|Martin, Enoch||baker and grocer|
|Porter, William||quarry proprietor|
|Smith E. Amos||grocer etc.|
|Smith brothers||colliery proprietors|
|Wilks, John||mason and sculptor|
|Mitcheldean Lane End|
|Brown, John||carpenter, wheelwright and undertaker|
|James, Richard||monumental mason|
|Coalway Lane End|
|Joynes, Stephen||grocer etc.|
|Mathews, William||carpenter, undertaker and innkeeper|
|Smith, Amos||grocer and draper|
|Wignell, Albert||grocer and draper|
If you wish to comment on this photo or can supply names of people please click here
WANTED: Old photos, old postcards, ephemera and memories of the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire. U.K.- please click here to make contact.