Bream Institute c. 1988
photo taken by Bryan shows the work carried out on "The Institute" (Bream
Cricket Club) between 1988 and 1989 (3). The "tin" (corrugated
iron) building, over which the current building was constructed, was
A 2-storey stone building was first planned with a Billiard Room with
tables, a Reading Room and a Games Room on the lower floor and a Lecture
Room/Concert Hall on the upper floor. However, the costs exceeded
the amount of money available, so the "temporary" corrugated
iron building was erected. (1).
The following is an extract from the Dean Forest Guardian report of the 4th A.G.M. of January 1909: "The cost of the new building had been £165 including stoves and additional installation. It was decided to ask Mr Beaumont Thomas to act as president this year. The Vicar [Rev. G W Cass] was re-elected Hon. Secretary and Mr W Brown was re-elected Hon. Treasurer".
The Institute itself was founded around September 1904 and used a building adjoining Forest View. (2).
The Snooker Room was built in 1981 and the Beer Cellar was converted into Changing Rooms in October 1990 (3).
(1) Dean Forest Guardian 15-1-1909 and : G.R.O. D 9096 F3/1039.
(2) Forest Guardian 15-1-1909 and comments on the back of a photo of Bream Junior Institute Rugby Team.
(3) Mike Walby - Bream Sports Club Secretary (Sep 2006).
If you wish to comment on this photo or can supply names of people please click here
WANTED: Old photos, old postcards, ephemera and memories of the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire. U.K.- please click here to make contact.